ARISE functions by receiving user-course pairings from your institution and building those connections within the VoiceThread system. There are only two hard requirements for what needs to be sent:
- User identifier: This identifier must be unique for each user within your system, and it must match the unique identifier used by your external authentication system.
- Course identifier: This identifier must be unique for each course within your system. We also recommend that it be unique from one semester/year to the next so that new courses are generated with each new period. If you re-use course identifiers, you’ll also be re-using course shells within VoiceThread, and this can lead to confusion.
In addition to those two requirements, we also strongly recommend that you include the following data:
- User first name: This is not publicly displayed and should be the user’s real first name.
- User last name: This is not publicly displayed and should be the user’s real last name.
- Course name: This is the human-readable name for the course to be displayed to end users. If you do not provide one, the course identifier will be used.
The VoiceThread Integration Team will work with you to obtain all of this information and test to ensure that data is being displayed correctly.